Sunday, March 7, 2010

Coolangatta craft retreat

With so much anticipation building up to our trip away at the Gold Coast, it was great to finally get here this weekend! The Sea Sound Apartment is a lovely big airy place, and the perfect set-up for nine paper-crafters getting away from it all. Marjorie, Rachelle and myself got there first, and I made about twelve trips up and down the stairs to the first floor apartment with practically ALL my craft room, it was just like going to the gym for a workout! The we re-arranged the tables slightly (fortunately they didn't see me put the sticker on a chair for one lucky winner). I put out a hand-decorated diary for everyone that was coming, along with a Loyalty Card for any Stampin' Up! purchases in the future, gee I'm so lovely! LOL. It wasn't long before the others started arriving.
Marie and Danielle brought their gorgeous baby girls with them, but for some reason I didn't get any piccies of Kayla, maybe because she was such a well-behaved baby I forgot she was there! Nikaya was a good girl too though, and you can see she enjoyed herself with the tools on hand. Unfortunately Jenny couldn't make it down with us, and we missed her! Maybe next time? There will definitely be a next time, as we all got so much done, either scrapbooking or card making.
On Friday night some of us got a takeaway curry which was really nice, the shops and restaurants are so close by so it's really easy to take a break for a while and have a wander. Saturday morning I went out for a walk on the beach, and took in the sights up on Point Danger headland. In the middle of the morning I tested the girls' memories with a fun game, there were items laid out on the table which they had to study and then try and remember all of them. Liz gave us this challenge at our Paper Angels meeting last month. (Justine came third winning some card magazines, Marjorie came second and won the Patterns Pack II DSP hostess pack, and Meegan won a stamp set for first prize, "Sweet Little Sentiments".)
We crafted non-stop and then late morning I ran a workshop to make little exploding gift boxes. We made sure we stopped for lunch that we shared together, thanks everyone for bringing all the little extras even though you put your ten dollars in for groceries! Those that had the time brought "shoe box" projects for us all to make throughout the weekend, I will photograph those for another blog soon. I set a quiz in the afternoon, ten questions about the Stampin' Up! catalogue and products, again with three prizes to be won. Meegan won some scrapbooking magazines, and we had a tie-breaker for first prize. Marjorie was just pipped at the post by Justine, so she won the roll of Chocolate Chip double-stitched ribbon and Justine won a stamp set, "Oh, So Lovely". Wow, the same three people won all the prizes! Ana won the lucky chair prize though of a decorated jar with some little goodies in. Everyone enjoyed their various evening meals either at the pizza restaurant or at the Coolangatta SLSC, before doing more projects before bed.
Sunday still felt like a holiday because we were allowed to check out a bit later, so there was ample time to finish things off before getting packed all over again. Meegan went for a dip in the sea, I walked on the beach again, as did Ana I think. A bit of fresh air to inspire even the tiredest of crafters, after a late Saturday night.
Thanks everyone for pitching in with the clear up, and thanks for coming on my first organised retreat. I know you enjoyed it because you told me, but I really hope you'll come again next year as well. (Bagsy the queen bed again though!!)

2 comments:

  1. Retreat was great! Funny how the same 3 people won the prizes just in a different order! Thankfully I was one of them!!!!

    Loved the projects and all the great ideas from everyone!

    Book me in for next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Justine, I'm glad you had a great time, I did too, and the curry was lovely!

    ReplyDelete